Sunday, September 6, 2009

Faction Transfers - Would You Do It?


Baby Kyo!!!!

Well, it's here, folks. Faction transfers.

I don't know about you, but I never saw it coming. I thought that there was a slight chance of Blizzard caving in on their strict policy about playing both factions on a PVP server (which they did), but I honestly never thought they'd allow full-blown faction switches.

I'm honestly pretty torn about it. As you all know, I am a bit of a lore whore, and so the idea of a Draenei/Troll with no knowledge of Orc/Gnome history suddenly running around as a level 80 drives me insane. So much faction history in leveling up!!!

When I rolled my first character, Kyokiru (troll priest), I read the little book that came with my game about the history of some of the races, and the first thing I did at level 5 was brave the walk to Orgrimmar, look for Thrall, and take a screenshot of my character kneeling in front of his chair. Yes, I know. Nerd, right? Well I thought I was pretty badass. =P

At the same time, though, when I switched to Alliance to play with my friends, I would have given anything to change level 70 Kyo into an Alliance character. I loved priest, and knew I wouldn't be able to devote enough time to both characters, so I created Fuyuko as a priest. (Hence why I have 2 high level priests).

While it was a huge pain in the butt to relevel a character and try to catch her up to the rest of my new guildies, I'm thankful looking back, because Alliance leveling is a different experience than Horde leveling, and I know a lot about the lore associated with both factions now.

At this point, if I were in the Kyo situation again, would I take advantage of the faction transfer service, despite my complaints of it ruining lore? Even if I didn't know anything about Alliance history?

Yes.

It's just too convenient for playing with friends. Releveling a character that you intend to be a raiding main at some point, for most of us, just takes too much time. This was a good financial decision on the part of Blizzard, and I bet they are making some decent scratch off it.

How about you all? If you were in a situation like I was (and I bet most of you have been), would you take advantage of the service? Why or why not?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Unconventional Priest © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness